About Our Health Sciences Expertise
When the human body cannot sustain normal function and medical devices are needed to intervene, mimicking appropriate physiological performance and utilizing proper surgical techniques are essential in achieving a satisfactory outcome.
S-E-A’s Health Sciences practice was formed to provide a comprehensive resource in the testing and analysis of medical-related devices and surgical techniques.
Our multi-disciplined team is experienced in the evaluation of device performance and surgical procedures under clinical conditions. Comprised of biomedical, biomechanical, and material engineers, as well as a medical illustrator, S-E-A’s team is positioned to provide unique and specific analyses of implant performance using patented methodology.
S-E-A's new 110,000 square foot facility incorporates the latest technologies and resources, including a scanning electron microscope (SEM), licensed in-vitro laboratory, and FDA approved 3D patient-specific reconstruction software for computational modeling.
- Standardized ASTM and ISO testing for medical devices
- Testing configurations ranging from static conditions to high-speed fatigue (peer-reviewed)
- Specialized testing methods to investigate implant subsidence and micromotion under cyclic loading
- Unique techniques for determination of device performance signatures under clinical loading conditions using anatomic specimens
- Scanning electron microscopy by materials scientists for surface feature, debris characterization, and failure analysis
- Non-destructive elemental analysis and visualization
- 3D quantitative optical microscopy for material surface evaluations due to wear, fracture and corrosion
- Certified Medical Illustrator (CMI) to visualize anatomy and physiological processes
- Realistic animations using input from engineering computations and testing to provide accurate visualizations
- Use of FDA approved software for reconstruction of patient-specific anatomy with manufacturer implants for engineering analysis